Have you ever wondered about the surge in lemon drinks during the summer season? Apart from soothing our tongues in the hot summers, it is a sure-shot way to hydrate our body from the severity of the scorching summers. the lemon drinks have undergone variations in terms of composition like mint lemon juice, lime soda, lemonade, etc. but one thing is constant – a good tasting lemon juice that satiates our mind and body in every way. No other drink can replace its taste and satiety. Traditionally lemon juice with a hint of honey has been advocated for treating a variety of medical issues including acidity, heartburn, weight reduction, dehydration. So how does the combination of sour lemon and sweet honey work? Come let’s explore.
Lemon is a citrus fruit. Its fruit, peel and juice are used in medicine. Historically lemon has been propounded for its rich vitamin C content. It is used in food and flavoring food. It is highly effective in boosting immunity, decreasing inflammation, delaying gastric reflux and host of digestive related issues.
When this sour-tasting fruit is combined with a natural sweetener like honey in definite proportions their medicinal properties are enhanced. They affect the body in a synergistic way. Let’s log on to their uses both therapeutic and aesthetic one by one.
1. Energy booster– After performing intense workout or when you get tired due to heavy work, lemon honey drink acts as an instant energy booster. The fructose sugar in honey metabolizes in the body in a regulated manner so as to give the much-needed energy to recharge the body.
2. Relieves Gastric conditions– After fasting, when the stomach is empty lemon honey juice is given to relieve gastritis like condition. The juice lubricates the alimentary system and helps in restoring the ion balance of the body.
3. Antioxidant– Both honey and lemon is well known for their antioxidant properties. Rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids present in honey promote good health of heart. Reduce the bad cholesterol levels in the blood. It also prevents throat infections.
4. Support heart health– lemon is rich in Vitamin C. It gives about 31mg of Vitamin C which is 51% of the reference intake. Vitamin C is medically known to reduce pressure in the heart. The soluble fiber in lemon and plant compounds reduces the risk factors for heart disease.
5. Checks Cholesterol– The compounds like hesperidin and diosmin reduce total blood cholesterol level thereby helping in weight loss related to cholesterol imbalance.
6. Weight loss– drinking a glass of lemon honey juice in empty stomach every morning helps in losing weight. The soluble fiber in lemon creates fullness effect in stomach. As a result we do not get hunger pangs. Thereby there is regulation of food metabolism activity.
7. Prevent kidney stones– Citric acid in lemon is known to prevent the formation of stones in kidney by increasing urine volume and increasing pH of the urine.
1. Purifies blood– The antioxidants in the lemon and honey purify the blood circulating the whole body. As a result toxins are removed from the body promoting good skin conditions. A healthy skin glows and gives a soft and supple look.
2. Prevent acne– Regular consumption of lemon honey juice hydrates the skin. A hydrated skin supports the removal of toxins in the skin. As a result skin conditions like acne, pimples can be prevented to a great extent.
3. Hydration therapy– The concoction instantly hydrates the cells of the body. This is can be felt in severe summer season when the outside heat takes a toll on the body by dehydrating it. The sweetened juice helps in replenishing the water content of the body which is lost due to perspiration in summer.
Last but not the least lemon drinks when had with family promotes togetherness. Why not try it during this lockdown period.