Being located in the vicinity of the Himalayas, Gangetic plains and the Thar Desert, Indian capital New Delhi is a center point for India’s Best Road trips. Lust Green Valleys, Snow-capped peaks, High Altitude passes, Blue Lakes, Royal Forts, Exotic Resorts, Best Highways, most dangerous roads, Roadside Dhaba Food – from Delhi, you can go on a road trip to all the iconic destinations and have an incredible experience.
If you’re looking for some road trip options for the weekend, here are the handpicked itineraries.
- Neemrana is an ancient town in Alwar, Rajasthan which is situated 120 km from Delhi on the Delhi-Jaipur highway. The main attraction is the Neemrana Fort-Palace, one of India’s oldest heritage resorts.
- Home to the Taj Mahal, Agra is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. Drive through India’s one of the best roads, the 165 km long – 6 lane, Yamuna Expressway from Greater Noida to Agra. This expressway is probably the best in the country at present. A must-do for all road trip enthusiasts in Delhi.
- Mussoorie is one of the nearest hill stations around Delhi and one of the most popular road trips from Delhi. Waterfalls, ropeways, bustling local market and steaming momos, Mussoorie has all the makings of a classic Indian hill station. The road trip from Delhi to Mussoorie, especially the final stretch after Dehradun is breathtaking. The road is not in the best condition, but the scenery on the road after that more than makes up for that. Driving to Dehradun takes around 6 hours and another 1.5 hours to reach the hill-top on Mussoorie.
- At just about 110 km from Delhi, Garh mukteshwar is the closest point where you can take a bath in the holy Ganges. One of the popular road trips from Delhi is also famous for dolphin sighting. Fort Unchagaonis a heritage hotel in Garh mukteshwar, so if you would like to stay luxuriously, you can book a room and stay overnight. Take the NH-24 from Ghaziabad and keep driving towards Hapur. Take the Hapur bypass. Take the road to Birjghat, which is around 10 km from the Garh Mukteshwar
- The most planned city in India, Chandigarh is not only a good place to visit on a weekend, but also serves as a base from where you can drive to the hill stations in Himachal Pradesh. Shimla and Kasauli are pretty hill stations near Chandigarh, around 2-3 hours of a pleasant drive from Chandigarh. Connecting Delhi to the rest of Punjab, the Grand Trunk road is in a reasonably good condition.