Poor sleep can have negative effects on many parts of your body and brain, including learning, memory, mood, emotions and various biological functions. If you are suffering from insomnia, there are many steps you can take to change behaviors and lifestyle to help you get to sleep. Simple lifestyle changes can make a world of difference to your quality of sleep.
Here are some simple ways to fall asleep as fast as possible:
- Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. That includes weekends. By sticking to a schedule you’ll be significantly more alert than if you slept for the same total amount of time at varying hours during the week.
- Create a restful sleeping environment: Your bedroom should be a peaceful place for rest and sleep. Temperature, lighting, and noise should be controlled so that your bedroom environment helps you to fall asleep.
- Close your eyes and roll the balls up at least 3-4 times. It simulates what you do naturally when you fall asleep and may help trigger the release of your sleepy hormone, melatonin.
- If you can’t sleep, don’t lie there worrying about it. Get up and do something uninteresting activity. Read something uninteresting. When you start to feel drowsy, go back to bed.
- Stop watching the clock because marking off the minutes only heightens your distress about being awake.
- Use the “4-7-8” Breathing Method. This method helps promotes calmness and relaxation. It consists of a breathing pattern that relaxes the nervous system. It can be practiced anytime you feel anxious or stressed.
- First, place the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth.
- Exhale completely through your mouth and make a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale through your nose while mentally counting to four.
- Hold your breath and mentally count to seven.
- Open your mouth and exhale completely, making a whoosh sound and mentally counting to eight.
- Repeat this cycle at least three more times.
- This technique can relax you and help you fall asleep quickly.
Read more: Sleepless Night Again? Get Rid Of Insomnia
Reported By Dr. Himani