Split ends are a chronic hair problem. It occurs when the single hair splits into two at the bottom. If you are known to be the person who breaks the split ends of hair, then you are really not being kind to your hair. The problem of split ends is known as “trichoptilosis” in dermatology. If you think they just happen on the strands ends well no, they can happen anywhere on the hair strand. Having a small number of split ends is normal until you see almost one-fourth of your hair struggling with split ends. Neglecting split ends can cause hair breakage and brittleness. And even worse they do not grow longer in length. In this article, we will share the top 10 tips and tricks to avoid split ends.
Listing the top 10 tips and tricks to avoid split ends:
- Make a rule to trim your hair regularly. The best way to do away with split ends is by getting them trimmed every 6 weeks. Once they are trimmed the split ends are gone.
- Minimize heat usage. Using dryers, curling rods, etc. can make your hair even dry and encourage split ends problems to sprout even more.
- Never scrub and rub a towel on your hair. The hair is most vulnerable when it is wet. Scrubbing your hair with towel forces your hairs to twist in unnatural directions, making them prone to breakage. The best way is to wrap the towel and squeeze out different hair portions to do away with moisture.
- Just do not dump all the shampoo on your scalp. The best way is to let hair hang down normally, mix the shampoo in water or lather the shampoo onto your scalp. As you rinse your hair, the scalp will be able to do away with most of the dirt and grime. This will reduce the chances of the shampoo being deposited on the scalp and causing split ends.
- Avoid chemical straightening treatments like coloring, perming, etc., all these treatments promote drying and weaken the integrity of your hair locks. This also increases the chances of split ends. Using the wrong hair care products can lead to brittle hair. Never use hair care products containing alcohol and drying agents. They take away all the moisture and result in split ends.
- Never sleep with your hair tied back. This is one major reason of getting split ends.
- It’s best to use a brush or comb that suits your hair type. It is always safe to use a wide tooth comb as it results in less hair breakage. You can also use a cushioned paddle brush with flexible bristles as well. Always start from the bottom and then move upwards while detangling your hair.
- Use scrunchies or a hair clip to tie the hair. Using the conventional hair elastic can put pressure on the hair, which leads to breakage. Look for softer scrunchies that won’t entangle your hair.
- Use the spare time to enjoy some DIY masks on your hair. There are a lot of DIY masks that you can make at home for split ends. A simple one is to prepare a mixture of a whisked egg with a tsp of almond oil. Apply this mixture on damp hair to do away with split ends. You can also use the papaya pack. All you need to do is to mash the papaya pulp in a blender and mix it a with a bowl of yogurt. Apply this mixture and leave it for 30 minutes and shampoo. Papaya contains protein that helps to do away with split ends and the yogurt provides the needed nourishment.
These 10 tips and tricks to avoid split ends show great results when followed consistently. Have happy and healthy hair.
Read More: A Solid Foundation For Awesome Looking Hair