What you eat definitely shows on your hair. A healthy diet helps your hair stay strong and glossy. A diet that is full of essential nutrients has a sterling effect on your tresses. Any deficiency becomes clearly evident affects your hair health. Our hair grows around 0.5 inches (1.25 cm) per month and 6 inches (15 cm) per year. This also depends on our age, genes, health, and diet. And diet my friends is the only thing that we have control over to get our goldilocks hale and hearty.
Your diet must contain the following for healthy hair:
- Essential fatty acids especially omega-3s are crucial for hair. Foods like Salmon, tuna, mackerel, and other fatty fish; Flaxseed oil; Walnuts and almonds
- Vitamin C is important for hair as it protects hair follicles against damage from harmful molecules called free radicals. These exist naturally in the body and the environment. The body produces collagen that helps strengthen the hair. Foods like berries and citrus fruits are rich in vitamin c.
- Vitamins B6 B12 and folic acid are also very important for beautiful hair. Foods like bananas, potatoes, spinach, meat, poultry fish and dairy products, tomatoes, citrus fruits, Whole-grain, and fortified grain products, beans, and lentils contain high quantities of it.
- Proteins are the major components of hair. Foods like fish, chicken eggs, soy products are rich in proteins and should be included in your diet if you want healthy hair.
- Minerals like iron, magnesium, zinc, and biotin also affect how your hair look and feel. It is important to take foods rich in these minerals or take supplements.
- Vitamin A is excellent for hair growth and repair. It helps the scalp in producing the natural sebum oil which keeps the roots and the hair healthy. Foods like carrots, mango, and papaya are rich in this.
- Vitamin E helps to improve blood circulation and promotes hair growth. It maintains the oil and PH levels balance which if exceeds can clog the hair follicles and stop hair growth. Foods like fish, avocados etc are rich in vitamin E.
Including a balanced and healthy diet for your hair will ensure that your hair stays healthy and strong for a long time.
Read More: How to take care of hair at night?