What Is Cancer?
Breast cancer is a group of cancer cells that starts in the cells of the breast. These cells usually form a tumor that can often be seen on an x-ray or felt as a lump. Breast tissue is found in the breast, upper chest and the armpit. Each breast contains 15-20 glands called lobes, where milk is produced. These lobes are connected to the nipple by tubes called ducts. The structure of the lobes and ducts is a bit like the branches of a tree. Breast cancer usually begins within the lobes. Much of the rest of the breast is fatty tissue. The breast and armpit also contain lymph nodes and vessels carrying lymph fluid, which are part of the immune system. Breast cancer can sometimes spread to other areas of the body through this lymph system or blood vessels.
Breast cancer is sometimes found after symptoms appear, but many women with breast cancer have no symptoms. This is why regular breast cancer screening is so important. The warning signs of breast cancer are not the same for all women.
The most common early signs of Breast Cancer are:
- A change in the look or feel of the breast
- Nipple discharge
- Breast or nipple pain
- Redness, scaliness, or thickening of the nipple or breast skin
- Fevers and difficulty breastfeeding
- Marble structure on breast
- Swelling of all or part of a breast (even if no distinct lump is felt)
- Skin irritation or dimpling (sometimes looking like an orange peel)
- Nipple retraction (turning inward)
- New pain in one spot that does not go away
- Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
- Dimpling or puckering of the skin
In most cases, these changes are not cancer. One example is breast pain. It’s more common with benign breast conditions than with breast cancer but if you feel any above changes in your body then concerting with your physician will be always good because if the change does turn out to be breast cancer, it’s best to find it at an early stage, when the chances of survival are highest.
Read more: DIET ACCORDING TO BLOOD GROUP
Reported by Dr. Himani