Biotin is essential for the growth and development of all organisms. Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin also called vitamin B7 and formerly known as vitamin H or coenzyme R. As a coenzyme of carboxylase enzymes, it is involved in the metabolism of fatty acids, amino acids, and carbohydrates. By metabolic process, biotin plays an important role in converting the food into usable energy.
Sources of Biotin:
The human body is not able to synthesize biotin, so it needs to be obtained regularly from the diet and intestinal bacteria. Biotin is found in small amounts in food. Cauliflower, salmon, carrots, bananas, wheat germ, whole-grain cereals, whole wheat bread, eggs, dairy products contain contains biotin. Our intestinal bacteria synthesize biotin, which is then absorbed by the host animal.
Daily recommended intake:
Age Male Female Pregnancy Lactation
Birth to 6 months 5 mcg 5 mcg
7–12 months 6 mcg 6 mcg
1–3 years 8 mcg 8 mcg
4–8 years 12 mcg 12 mcg
9–13 years 20 mcg 20 mcg
14–18 years 25 mcg 25 mcg 30 mcg 35 mcg
19+ years 30 mcg 30 mcg 30 mcg 35 mcg
Biotin has a range of possible benefits. Signs of biotin deficiency include skin rashes, hair loss, and brittle nails. Therefore, biotin supplements are often promoted for hair, skin, and nail health.
- Biotin assists in energy production. It supports a number of enzymes involved in the metabolism of carbs, fats, and protein
- Brittle nails are fragile and easily become split or cracked. Biotin supplements may help strengthen the nails. Biotin sometimes gets the nickname the “H” vitamin, which means “hair and skin.”
- Biotin supplements are very helpful for providing a healthy blood sugar level, especially people who are struggling with diabetics. Many research has shown that biotin supplements are capable to lower blood glucose levels in people with both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes by stimulating the secretion of insulin.
- Increase “good” HDL cholesterol and decrease “bad” LDL cholesterol
- Dry, itchy skin is common issues for significant problems like acne, ages, and psoriasis. This type of problem occurs if you are not able to nourish your skin from the inside. Biotin supplements are helpful to improve inner skin and provide you a youthful glow.
- Biotin plays an important role in preventing heart disease by fighting against inflammation all over the body.
- Biotin plays a very important role in nerve signaling, neurotransmitter activity and defends against dementia.
- Biotin helps in the production of cellular energy by synthesis and breakdown of fatty acids.
Reported by Dr. Himani