Any substance that you take to improve your wellness and health and that includes herbs, minerals and vitamins in the form of pills, capsules, drinks, foods or powders are known as dietary supplements. Though it is always advisable to eat healthy foods like fruits, vegetables, pulses, lean meats and fish and many more, dietary supplements are full of micronutrients that help in the overall nourishment of the body. These are an affordable and effective way to ensure that you get the daily recommended intake of essential nutrients necessary for optimal health.
Dietary supplements are not medicines and shouldn’t be considered as a substitute for food. These support health and contribute to overall well-being. Dietary supplements are widely available in health food stores, drug stores, grocery stores, and fitness centers and online too. They are available in many forms including capsules, soft gels, tablets, bottles of liquid, powders and gummies.
These dietary supplements help to enhance diet in case of any shortfalls. Some people may require supplements as it is hard to get in adequate amounts in the daily diet. These include:
- Pregnant women
- Nursing Mothers
- Strict vegetarians
- People with food allergies or intolerances
- Senior citizens
- Those with diseases such as cancer, or kidney, cardiovascular, or bone disease.
The top 10 dietary supplements include the following:
- Meal replacements include powdered and liquid products as they supplement the diet. These are good alternatives for people who can’t eat regular food because of illnesses.
- Sports Nutrition Supplements includes powders, pills, formulas and drinks that are formulated to hydrate and enhance physical activity. These contain create, amino acids, protein formulas, and fat burners.
- Calcium is the mineral that most people lack. Calcium supplements are crucial for health.
- B Vitamins are essential as you get older. People with certain medical conditions or who take drugs that interfere with vitamin absorption may also require supplementation.
- Vitamin C
These dietary supplements are prescribed by doctors for those people who don’t get enough nutrients from their daily diet. It is important to take these under the advice of a doctor.