Chocolate is a strict favorite with people of all ages. From children to parents and grandparents each one of us has chocolate that is a favorite. And though chocolate has for long struggled to prove its effectiveness as a food.
Chocolate holds many health benefits. Most of all chocolate being good for health makes us feel joyous and happy thereby ensuring our good health. Apart from tasting good, chocolate has many health benefits. Here are a few of them:
- Chocolate stimulates the production of endorphins which give a feeling of pleasure.
- It acts as an anti-depressant as it contains serotonin.
- It also contains caffeine, theobromine and other substances which are stimulants and boost the mood.
- It helps to lower blood pressure.
- It also helps to lower cholesterol especially LDL by up to 10%.
- Most importantly chocolate contains good fats that do not impact our weight. It contains 1/3 oleic acid, 1/3 stearic acid and 1/3 palmitic acid all of which are good for the body and the heart.
With so many health benefits, we have to control the urge to pounce on chocolate and devour it. It is also the easiest way to gain weight when unnoticed. Nutritionists advise that you should avoid chocolates that contain milk solids, corn syrup, soy solids (except lecithin, which will likely be included), artificial sweeteners and colorings. Keep two things in mind while picking up chocolate to binge: non-alkalized cocoa and low sugar count on the nutrition label. These indicate that with the least amount of sugar you also get the health benefits of chocolate.
The magic potion that powers the chocolate is the cocoa bean. In its purest form, without any added sugar or other ingredients, cocoa contains flavanols that have anti-inflammatory properties. A super dose of these cuts on the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart ailments and keeps your metabolism strong. Diet chocolates are like Theo Salted Almond Bar, Nibmor dark chocolate, endangered species dark chocolate squares with forest mint, and many other healthier versions. Diet chocolates contain a minimum of 60% cacao which is a good source of antioxidants and have fewer additives like cream and sugar which pile on the calories.