India is surrounded by Pakistan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar, the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. India, with its massive diversity, has got uncountable tourist spots. However, some are considered valuable from the standpoint of popularity. Below is the list of popular tourist destinations in India.
- The Northwest state of Rajasthan borders Pakistan and is home to the Thar Desert. Interesting history of brave Rajputs or views of the Aravallis Mountains, Rajasthan has some of the best places to visit including Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, and Jaisalmer. Pink City Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan is a wonderful place to begin your trip. It is home to an array of incredible architecture, including three forts, temples and the extraordinary City Palace. Jodhpur or Blue \ City is the gateway to the Thar Desert as well as the home to the spectacular Mehrangarh Fort. City Palace, Lake Pichola, Fatehsagar Lake, Vintage Car Museum, Jagdish Temple, Eklingji Temple, Jaisamand Lake, Saheliyon ki Bari are must-visit places of Udaipur.
- An ancient city of Varanasi stands on the banks of the River Ganges. The history of the spiritual capital of India dates back to more than 3,000 years, making it one of the oldest continually inhabited cities on the planet. Religious architectures are a major attraction in Varanasi. Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Bharat Mata temple and the Sankat Mochan Temple are inevitable stops. At sunrise, visit the banks of the Ganges. Each day thousands of devotees take a holy dip in the Ganges. Evening Ganga aarti is something truly unforgettable.
- In the state of Maharashtra, you can explore the caves of Ellora and Ajanta. Ellora has an enormous complex of shrines carved from the rocky landscape. These 34 cave shrines are around 1,500 years old which belong to three distinct religions: Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism. Ajanta caves are a two-hour drive from Ellora. It is home to 29 caves. The Ajanta caves are home to murals and paintings which reflect Buddhist stories. It is well worth visiting for these incredible attractions.
- Once the southern city of Mysore was the capital of the Wodeyar dynasty, Mysore is best known for the magnificent Mysore Palace. The palace is the epitome of opulence. A tour through the structure reveals upscale touches like carved rosewood doors, decorated ceilings, and paintings on the walls. If you’re in Mysore, you won’t want to miss the incredible Devaraja Market, outdoor experience on Dhanwanthri Road where you can have tea and then browse stalls offering sandalwood carvings. Amba Vilas Palace, Chamundeswari Temple, Sri Chamarajendra Zoological Gardens, Brindavan garden, Somnathapura Temple, Jaganmohan Palace, Karanji Lake, Folklore Museum, and Lalitha Mahal Palace are the most famous tourist attraction.
- Goa is a small coastal Indian state. It is a former colony of Portugal that blends Indian culture with colonial influences. Goa is popular for its spectacular beaches. The busiest and most popular of all is Candolim Beach, where travelers from around the world flock to soak up the sun. You can walk to Chapora Fort and admire the sandy coastline from a new perspective. Palolem is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Goa with its natural bay surrounded by lofty headlands. Goa is widely loved by adventurers for its recreational activities.