To keep your dog healthy you need to help your dog with its grooming needs. Regular dog baths ensure a clean, shiny and fresh-smelling coat. Bathing will remove dead skin cells, excess oil, substances that cause an allergic reaction, dust mites and fleas. For an effective bathing session, you need to pick the right dog shampoo and conditioner. A wrong choice can pose severe damage to a dog’s skin & coat.
Safe dog shampoo is composed of natural ingredients, vitamins and proteins. It’s best to avoid any formula with chemical dyes and artificial fragrances. Natural fragrances that work safely are lavender, chamomile, citrus and eucalyptus. Your vet can guide you to the right pick after examining the pet’s coat, skin conditions and also advise on the frequency of baths.
As per the ASPCA (American Society for the prevention of cruelty to animals) a dog needs to be bathed at least once every three months. However if your pet loves to be outdoors and play in mud/dirt, you will have to bathe it more often. Several dog breeds will require regular baths owing to their oily hair. Never use a human shampoo/conditioner on dogs. Human shampoos contain chemicals that aren’t suitable for a canine. Due to different pH values, it may dry out a sensitive skin of pooch causing itchiness and irritation. Canine skin is thinner and more alkaline than human skin. Hence, it requires shampoos that are exclusively made for dogs.
The Indian pet market is burgeoning with dog grooming products. An ample choice enables you to make a selection based on your pet’s coat/skin condition and specific needs. When the skin is dry and itchy or for allergies, look-out for shampoos with natural ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe vera, vitamin E, tea-tree oil and honey. The preparation must restore moisture to avoid common skin allergies which may cause dryness. Wash off the shampoo/conditioner completely as the residual matter can cause skin-irritation. In case the allergy or the dryness persists or if you notice red bumps, consult a veterinarian and switch to a medicated shampoo/ conditioner as recommended.
Also Read:- 7 Smart Ways And Tips Of Pet Grooming At Home
Best Shampoos For Dogs
· Lambert Kay’s fresh and clean shampoo is made with extended technology that leaves your furry pup smelling great for up to two weeks after its bath. A simple white but the fur with a damp cloth continues to revive the fragrance even after dissipating. It contains anti-static agents and prevents excessive matting.
· A fresh pet is a gentle and soothing shampoo for dachshund kittens as young as six weeks of age. It is designed to match the pH balance found in the puppy’s fur and skin. It is one of the most effective shampoos for bathing dogs with extremely long locks. It’s available in a variety of sizes. The formula also helps to make coats shiny.
· Moosh is safe for use in rivers and lakes. It is a biodegradable cleanser that contains bentonite clay which is known for its ability to get rid of dirt and toxins. The bottle offers built-in flow control. The formula features antibacterial properties.
· Legger certified is the hypoallergenic and non-toxic formula. The shampoo is concentrated enough to lather up richly and prints away easily without the use of any artificial thickness. The formula moisturizes the body without stripping away the natural oils. It contains lemongrass oil to keep fleas away. The shampoo doesn’t contain any sulfates.
· K-9 Pro has a unique nano liposome delivery system that is designed to encapsulate all the solutions functional ingredients allowing them to penetrate the body of your pet effectively for superior skin nourishment. It has an essence of cucumber and ripe melon.
· Paws n pals is a soap free formula. It contains coconut oil to relieve the pain and itching associated with biting insects and dander. The Sheet butter and rosemary infuses the skin with much-needed hydration. The bottle comes with a flip cap. The formula doesn’t irritate the eyes or nose.
· Tropiclean natural is a medicated shampoo consisting of oatmeal, papaya and tea tree botanical extracts that combine to produce of the clutter in the tub when bathing your furry dog. The concoction revitalizes dog skin and coat while eliminating excess flaking as well as dandruff. It contains a gentle coconut cleanser and rinses out easily.
· Pro pet shampoo works is effective for pets with dry itchy or sensitive skin due to allergies. It contains oat milk, a soothing blend of Amador aloe vera, vitamins A, D and E all of which give your pooch a silky smooth coat that’s easy to brush out. It contains no sulfates or detergents and comes in a biodegradable bottle. It is safe for ferrets and rabbits too.
· Earth planet natural provides canine with an organic and environmentally friendly bath. The formula is a combination of mild cleaners and essential cedar citronella and eucalyptus oils. It keeps your pup smelling great while helping to repel fleas and ticks. It contains antioxidants and it is ideal for all coat types.
· Burt’s Bees are another specialist in natural shampoos for dogs and have different formulations – scents to choose from depending on the preferences as well as the needs of your dog. Every ingredient of Burt’s Bees is derived s from plants. The shampoo contains oatmeal and honey that restore natural moisture to soothe dry skin. The formula contains no harmful chemicals and PEG-80 (Sorbitan Laurate) is guaranteed to be safe.
Best Conditioners For Dogs
Even if your dog sports a soft and silky coat, it feels and looks its best after being lathered and rinsed with a good shampoo specifically designed for dogs. To make the coat feel even better, follow up the shampoo with a high-quality conditioner. This will not only make the fur softer and help keep the coat looking best for longer. Below are some best conditioners for dogs in the market. It will explain the kinds of things you want to look for when making your purchase.
· Isle of Dogs Everyday Jasmine & Vanilla Conditioner is designed to smooth, moisturize, and protect the dog’s fur, while also making it easier to brush through tangles. It is made with Isle of Dogs’ signature Warm Floral Jasmine and Vanilla Fragrance to help ensure your dog smells great after each bath. Work a small amount of Isle of Dogs Everyday Conditioner into your dog’s fur after shampooing. Allow the conditioner to sit for a few minutes and then rinse it out. Finish by brushing thoroughly to eliminate any tangles.
· Earthbath Conditioner is formulated to condition and detangle the dog’s fur. It is made with colloidal oatmeal to moisturize your dog’s skin. It smells fantastic as it is made with food-grade vanilla and almond extracts. Earthbath Conditioner is an environmentally friendly, cruelty-free, and biodegradable product (completely safe to use outdoors). Also, unlike other pet conditioners, it will not wash away your dog’s topical flea treatment.
· Burt’s Bees also make several high-quality pet products, like their Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Conditioner for Dogs. Made with colloidal oat flour, the conditioner will not only make your dog’s fur feel great, it’ll moisturize the skin too. The formula also contains honey, which will help maximize the shine of your dog’s coat. Burt’s Bees Conditioner for Dogs has pH-balanced to suit your dog’s skin and a 100% cruelty-free product.
· Warren London Guava & Mangosteen Conditioner is designed for dogs and owners who are fond of boutique-style beauty products. Made with guava, mangosteen, and butter, Warren London Conditioner will moisturize your dog’s coat and skin, helping the fur to look and feel best. It has a fantastic smell. Unlike many other conditioners, which need to be rinsed out shortly after being applied, you can just leave Warren London Conditioner on dog’s fur and then follow up with a good brushing.
· Wahl Four-in-One Dog Shampoo and Conditioner is a pet product that proves you don’t have to spend a lot of money to obtain a great conditioner. It includes a shampoo and conditioner that are a completely plant-based product. It will save a few bucks and make it easier to bathe your pet. Wahl Four-in-One Shampoo and Conditioner isn’t only designed to help smooth and detangle your dog’s hair – it is also designed to help calm your dog through the inclusion of lavender and chamomile (which will also make your dog smell great).