Celebrity Cruises is a premium cruise line that was founded back in April 1988 by the Greece-based Chandris Group. In 1997, Celebrity Cruises Ltd. merged with Royal Caribbean International to become Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., that operates:
- Royal Caribbean International,
- Azamara Club Cruises,
- Pullmantur Cruises and
- CDF Croisières de France.
The signature “Χ” displayed on the funnel of Celebrity ships is the Greek letter chi, meaning: “Chandris”. The company has its corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida, USA. Common features onboard Celebrity brand ships feature:
- Aft-glass dining rooms,
- Formal foyer areas,
- Alternative dining venues,
- Balcony and suite staterooms,
- Pools and lounging areas,
- Bars and lounges,
- Spas and gyms, and
- Relaxation areas.
Something About its Past
- Celebrity Cruises was founded as a subsidiary of the Greece-based Chandris Group with an aim to operate upmarket cruise ships to Bermuda. The group had been involved in cruise traffic since the 1960s, and during the late 1980s, the company operated in the United States market under the brand name Chandris Cruises.
- Chandris Fantasy Cruises targeted the lower segment of the cruise passenger market, with fleets that included second-hand ocean liners. Celebrity Cruises came into existence when, in April of 1988, Home Lines, at that time one of the world’s leading premium cruise lines, was sold to Holland America Line. Home Lines’ ships had in its possession two of the five contracts offered by the Government of Bermuda to cruise lines, giving the ships priority berthing arrangement and unlimited access of sail to the islands in exchange for the ships sailing to Bermuda between April and October every year.
- Although these contracts were highly valued, Holland America Line arrived on a decision to withdraw the former Home Lines ships from this service, leaving an opening for two new ships to gain access. Chandris wanted to get hold of the contracts, but the Government of Bermuda was only willing to award them to upmarket cruise lines, which Chandris Fantasy Cruises was not.
- But after a lot of negotiations and condition fulfillment, Chandris was finally awarded the contracts that resulted in Chandris creating Celebrity Cruises, as a part of the Terms and Conditions of the Contract.
Some Interesting Facts About the Celebrity Cruises
Lisa Lutoff-Perlo was the first woman to hold the chair of president and CEO of Celebrity Cruises in December 2014