What is a galley kitchen layout?
The galley kitchen layout is also known as the corridor layout. This workspace has a large workspace where you have enough space for one cook. This kitchen has been named after the diminutive ship’s kitchen. It has one row of units, while the double galley two parallel running units. In this kitchen, the workstation is made on the parallel walls that create a small work triangle.
When should I opt for this kitchen layout?
This kitchen works best when you need kitchens where you need maximum space. The layout works best for kitchens that have narrow space. They work great for small and medium-sized kitchens. Keep in mind that having the opposing runs too far apart will make the kitchen lose its efficiency.
What else should I keep in mind?
- When you are designing this kitchen, make sure you keep the cooking zone spate from the wet area with a length of worktop in between.
- The worktop should at least three meters long. Look for a minimum 1.2 m distance between the facing doors, which induces the triangular cooking zone.
- The width of a galley kitchen should be between seven to twelve feet with a minimum of three feet between opposing countertops.
- The basic height of the countertops on the opposing walls should be at least 36 inches high.
- Never opt for irregular triangles in galley kitchens as they look awkward.
- If space allows, it’s best to avoid having tall units which might accentuate the narrow space. Stick to the paler kitchen in this layout as space is less and you don’t want to make it look cluttered.
- The use of paler colors in galley kitchen will make the room look light and airy. Also, ensure that you do not install many cupboards as it will make the kitchen look cluttered.
- This kitchen is not the best choice if you have a lot of sociable arrangements.
- The best way is to keep the kitchen open from one end only as it will reduce the foot traffic through space. Make the other side wall a little more decorative to add a little zing to the kitchen.
- If you have a little more space add some space for sitting in the kitchen.