Brahmi is a very useful plant in Ayurveda for its ability to naturally cure several problems. Brahmi is a small succulent herb with numerous branches, rooting at the nodes, found at elevations from sea level to altitudes of 4400 feet. “Brahmi” has been used to describe two distinct Ayurvedic herbs—Centella Asiatica and Bacopa monnieri—and Brahmi is a fitting name for both of them. They are also both highly revered for their mind-enhancing properties and their support of the nervous system as a whole.
This article will focus on highlighting the primary applications of each of these herbs:
- Boosts brain functions: Brahmi is said to enhance memory and increase focus. As a result, the ability to concentrate on a task goes up. A study conducted in Lucknow concluded that taking Brahmi extract for a period of 12 weeks improved the learning rate, cognitive processing and memory in the people who were given the extract as compared to the subjects who were on a neutral placebo. Brahmi has two active molecules named bacoside A and B. Bacoside A plays a part in the release of nitric oxide in the blood, which relaxes the blood vessels and aids in the smooth flow of blood through the body. Bacoside B is a protein which nourishes the nerve cells in the brain and helps in restoring and rejuvenating them.
- Treats cognitive disorders: Brahmi has the ability to reduce the onset of cognitive disorders such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Research has shown it to be an effective way of stimulating the creation of new neural pathways and lowering oxidative stress in the brain, which keeps our minds sharp well into our old age. A study suggested that the plant has neuroprotective properties and has therapeutic potential for people suffering from memory loss.
- Reduces anxiety & stress: The leaves of the Brahmi plant can be chewed (only 2-3 at a time) in order to relieve stress and anxiety. The active ingredients in this herb can affect hormonal balance in the body and positively impact the balance of stress hormones in our body, thereby inducing a calm, relaxed state in a natural way, avoiding the side effects of traditional pharmaceutical options for stress and anxiety relief.
- Treats insomnia: Brahmi helps to overcome sleep disorder, which leads to cure depression, anxiety, tension, and stress. It is recommended that a person is suffering from such negative domains of health should massage his head every night with this oil. It is helpful with hyperactive children too.
- Strengthening the immune system: Regular consumption of Brahmi helps in strengthening your immune system. A lot nutrients along with antioxidant compounds help increase the response time of our immune system against various diseases and ailments.
Reported by Dr. Himani